Monday, March 29, 2010

Maggie Taylor: The Imagination

Maggie Taylor is one artist that has always intrigued me. I first became familiar with her works from her recognition in Gainesville, Florida, which is just a couple of hours away from me. The way in which she reaches into the imagination and creates a photograph so visually interesting makes people truly question just how far the realm of dreams can take you.



The way she takes objects and incorporates them as a part of another object or person is very interesting to me. I like to look at all of her photography and try to figure out the meaning behind them. They all seem to serve a certain theme, all categorized in a dreamlike atmosphere. A lot of her works are humorous, while some seem to have a darker more mysterious meaning. I also love how her works relate to the dreamed up whimsical world of Alice's adventures from Lewis Carrol.


This is what I find so fascinating about her works -- the imagination. The question of how far can the imagination take you is clearly defined in her works. Taylor has said that she likes to take pictures of everyday scenes and objects and then incorporate them into an idea -- an idea that is mystical and dreamlike. Her photography can really show someone how photographs and ideas can be squeezed through the imagination and be produced into something so surreal and obscure.

4 comments:

  1. How does this work relate to the history of surrealism? What does it add? Is it more contemporary because it uses photographic elements? Does it "read" as photography or mixed media?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think her work is heavily surreal, and becomes more contemporary because its uses 'digital' photographic elements. When looking at it, it does look like painting. I think it reads more as mixed media, which it will include different pieces blended together into a digital file. I will guess she uses scanned images, objects, textures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think her work is heavily surreal, and becomes more contemporary because its uses 'digital' photographic elements. When looking at it, it does look like painting. I think it reads more as mixed media, which it will include different pieces blended together into a digital file. I will guess she uses scanned images, objects, textures...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. Our art medium allows us to push the limits of realism. Anything we can imagine we can make. I am attracted most to images that force me to take a step outside of my perceived notions of the world, natural laws, and custom.

    ReplyDelete